Story Time

Jason and I don't have a T.V. We had one when we first got married, and it just sat there taking up space in our apartment. When we wanted to watch moves, our laptops always had a clearer picture, and most shows are available via the internet now, so we got rid of our hunk of junk set. Now that I'm breastfeeding Will, I have a LOT of time on my hands. Since we don't have T.V, I've been churning through some books that have been on the back burner. Here are a couple brief reviews. 


The Count of Monte Cristo 
This was the book club book from January, and I never got around to finishing it. I'm so glad I finally did. It was excellent. The narrative reminded me of a sitcom, jumping from story line to story line, leaving you hanging at the best part. Jason and I started watching the show "Revenge" on Hulu recently and it's actually based on this book. Check it out here!

The Night Circus
I had been hearing wonderful things about this book and was so excited to finally read it. I actually listened to it on tape. Maybe, because I listened to it instead of reading it, I found it very tedious. The writing is flowery and beautiful, but the plot is so weird. Two magicians in a contest, but they don't even want to fight with each other, because they are in love. Gag me! It was trite and boring.


Chronicles of Narnia 
 I read the chronicles when I was a little kiddo, but have been wanting to reread them from an adult perspective. They were even better than I remembered. I love children's literature. These were the perfect read, too because they give a clear picture of who God is and how he loves, without being too heavy. I haven't been able to finish When People are Big and God is Small, yet, because with William and the move and the craziness of life, I can't focus on anything too deep. 

I love tattoos, but I've never been able to think of anything that I'd want to have permanently inked on my body that isn't super common, but is still meaningful. I realized reading this book, I'd get a lion, if I ever got a tattoo, which I probably never will, but it's nice to know what it would be of if I did. =)

Moloka'i
This was our book club book for July. It was such a phenomenal story! The plot is fantastic and the characters are beautifully drawn. It takes place in Hawaii in the late 18 and early 19 hundreds. The protagonist is a sassy young girl, named Rachel, who gets leprosy and is sent to a leper colony on Moloka'i. She hates being taken away from her family and home, but when she arrives, she finds a new family in the cooky and loveable residents of the colony. This is one of those books that makes you laugh and cry. Even though it's a fiction book, Rachel's story could easily be true of any young woman at the colony, and that made it more poignant. I also appreciated how well researched the novel was. The author was really passionate about the story and weaved history and fiction beautifully. 

Happy reading!

Xoxo E

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts